Sometimes one of the hardest things to do is to remember someone’s name when you first meet them. Here are three simple steps in addition to why they help.
Shake their hand. -This connects their name to the sense of touch.
Notice something about their appearance. Do they wear glasses, what does their haircut look like? -This connects their name with your visual memory.
Take a deep breath through your nose- This connects your sense of smell with their name. This is the strongest form of memory.
There are other actions you can take to help improve your general memory.
1. Eat less sugar
2. Practice mindfulness and meditation
3. Make sure you get plenty of sleep.
4. Drink less alcohol.
5. Train your brain using crossword puzzles, word recall games, and Tetris.
6. Cut down on refined carbs such as cakes, cereal, cookies, white rice, and white bread.
7. Exercise more.
8. Choose anti-inflammatory foods that are high in antioxidants such as fruits, vegetables, and teas. Berries are especially good for memory.
Use these tips to keep your brain sharp for years to come.